(27 Nov 2009) SHOTLIST
November 27, 2009
1. Former German Defence Minister, and current Labour Minister, Franz Josef Jung entering news conference
2. SOUNDBITE (German) Franz Josef Jung, Former German Defence Minister:
“After careful consideration and respecting the guidance to sleep on such issues for one night I informed the German Chancellor this morning of my resignation. Therewith I take fully responsibility for the Defence Ministry’s internal policy of dealing with information in relation to the Minister concerning the events of September 4 in Kunduz.”
3. Cutaway of reporters
4. SOUNDBITE (German) Franz Josef Jung, Former German Defence Minister:
“With this step I want to contribute my part for the continuation of the successful work of the German government. I also want to prevent the German Army from possible harm.”
5. Cutaway of cameraman
6. Cutaway of the press
7. Jung leaving news conference
November 26, 2009
8. Mid of Bild newspaper headline reading: (German) “The top secret bomb video of the German army”
9. Page of Bild newspaper showing picture reportedly taken from bomb video next to photo of Jung
10. Page of newspaper showing picture reportedly taken from bomb video
Germany’s former defence minister announced his resignation on Friday amid fallout from an airstrike in Afghanistan that already cost the head of the armed forces his job.
Franz Josef Jung was defence minister at the time of the airstrike in northern Afghanistan on September 4, in which civilians died.
He resigned from the post of labour minister, a position he took over last month.
Jung faced opposition calls to step down after it emerged on Thursday that a confidential military report and videos were not properly passed on to political leaders after the airstrike.
Jung said on Friday that he was taking “political responsibility.”
“After careful consideration and respecting the guidance to sleep on such issues for one night I informed the German Chancellor this morning of my resignation,” he told a news conference in Berlin on Friday.
Military Chief-of-Staff, General Wolfgang Schneiderhan quit after the Bild daily newspaper reported that the videos and a confidential military report suggested it was likely that civilians were killed, and that they were in German hands at a time when Jung was insisting that there was no evidence of civilian victims.
A German colonel called in the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) airstrike against two tanker trucks that had been seized by Taliban insurgents near Kunduz, fearing they could be used to attack troops.
Thirty civilians and 69 armed Taliban died in the strike, according to a probe by an Afghan presidential commission.
You can license this story through AP Archive:
Find out more about AP Archive: