1. RFA (Royal Fleet Auxiliary) ship, the Argus, seen from helicopter
2. Close up of gunner on board helicopter
3. Bow (front) of RFA Argus below, with helicopter’s heavy machine gun in foreground
4. Sailors wearing ‘Red Cross’ smocks on the deck of RFA Argus
5. Equipment inside the sick bay
6. Gurneys, pans to medical equipment laid out
7. Close-up of drugs
8. Group of nurses
9. Nurse sitting in front of computer
10. SOUNDBITE: (English) Jenny Snellman, Leading Naval Nurse, RFA Argus:
Question: “Are you apprehensive about the next few weeks?”
Answer: “Yes, definitely, certainly am. It’s just not really knowing how things are going to end up and how much longer we’re going to be away from home for. It’s a lot to get your head around.”
11. Group of nurses around bed, practicing on dummy casualty
12. Close-up of electronic equipment
13. SOUNDBITE: (English) Commander Judy Onions, (Nursing Matron) RFA Argus:
“We’ve got ten intensive care beds, 20 high dependency care beds and 70 lower dependency beds. We’ve also got all specialities covered, so whatever casualties arrive we’ve got the professional trained personnel able to look after them. And on the numbers front, we’ve got two watches and so it will be whatever is required in numbers to look after them, they’ll be ready and prepared to do that.”
12. SOUNDBITE: (English) Charity Muchena, Leading Naval Nurse:
“We are apprehensive in case there’s going to be quite a lot of casualties as well as may be not knowing how to deal with prisoners of war, that’s the other thing we’re getting prepared for.”
Question: “So it could be very challenging.”
Answer: “It could be very challenging, that’s right.”
13. Unidentified Royal Navy ship seen from deck of RFA Argus
14. Helicopter warming up engines on deck of RFA Argus
15. Close up of helicopter cockpit
16. HMS (Her Majesty’s Ship) Ark Royal seen from helicopter, zooms in
Britain’s Royal Navy is steeling itself for possible war in the Gulf and personnel across the fleet are rehearsing their roles for combat.
The Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessel RFA Argus is currently at sea in the Arabian Gulf as part of the UK’s military deployment.
The Argus is a hospital ship capable of handling large numbers of casualties.
Its facilities include intensive care units and specialised medical personnel to care for a wide variety of sickness and trauma.
The crew of the Argus are apprehensive about what the next weeks might bring and admit they could be away from home for a long time.
The Argus was sailing in close proximity to other British Navy vessels including the helicopter assault ship HMS (Her Majesty’s Ship) Ark Royal.
You can license this story through AP Archive:
Find out more about AP Archive: